On Wednesday, March 21, the Twin Rivers Public Speaking Contest District Finals were held in the Board Room of the District Office. The morning competition involved a representative from each Network competing for the top spot in each grade, 5th through 8th.
Board President Roger Westrup attended the event and presented the winning medals to every participant.
- Grade 5 Winner: Alexander Grandinetti, Orchard Elementary
- Topic: Atoms and the Hadron Collider
- Grade 6 Winner: Yulia Gorlekin, Rio Linda Preparatory Academy
- Topic: Benefits of an 8 o'clock Bedtime
- Grade 7 Winner: Kayhlia Yang, Creative Connections Arts Academy
- Topic: How McDonald's Makes McNuggets
- Grade 8 Winner: McKenzie Stanback, Creative Connections Arts Academy
- Topic: China, the Trade Market and Human Rights
The district contest is the culmination of hundreds of contests throughout the district at the classroom then school and then Network level.
The Board Room was packed with parents, students, school site and district staff who attended to cheer on their representative.
Special thanks to our community judges that included:
- Bev Reed, Retired from CSUS and active volunteer with our Teacher of the Year and Project DREAM programs
- Eduardo Garcia, Senior at HHS, Rotary Club of Foothill/Highlands Speech Contest Finalist and active member of the school's Academic Decathlon, Soccer, Cross Country, Wrestling and Track teams
- Henry Wirz, SAFE Credit Union President and CEO
- Herb Long, Board of Directors for SAFE Credit Union and Foothills Toastmasters
- Rick Jennings, CEO of Center for Fathers and Families and former professional football player